Saturday 26 January 2008

The walk to Tescos

I went to Lewisham for the first time yesterday.

The heart of Lewisham, where the Docklands Light Rail station was. It's about 2 stops from where I was, and it cost me a 35 minute (slow) walk!

Although I walked along Lewisham high street, it was not at all a pleasant walk. It was dark and pretty deserted, despite being only 6+ in the evening. The people straggling were not at all pleasant.

Oh and... I received a "Would you like to come home with me tonight" dubious invite from a random passerby.

Having said that, it was nice to get out of the room and have some fresh air. And... walking in this cool weather is always a treat! Am never gonna forget how walking is like in 30 degrees celsius and 77% humidity!!

According to the map, Tescos was 1.46 miles from my place, but in reality it was a lot longer; I suppose it's to their benefit to measure the shortest direct distance. I wanted to visit that particular Tescos 'cause it was one of the biggest in the area, and open 24 hours (rare, in the London context).

For a supermarket, it sure was fabulous. I totally didn't regret the long walk there.

Lewisham DLR station itself was not all that bad, there were a lot of men in suits, probably returning from work having taken the DLR from Canary Wharf (which is a beeaauuutiful place and totally warrants an entry itself).

The DLR is an overground train that has tracks built in the air, making it quite obviously different from the Tube (which is underground), and the Overground (which are trains on tracks laid on the ground).

The travel fare is decently cheap. You can travel pretty much within a zone for just £1.

The best thing about the 24-hour Tescos in Lewisham was its Asian section. There were two rows of Asian stuff - vege, rice, stock etc. But my absolute happiness stemmed from being able to buy real chilli! Real, spicy, chilli. Yum.

Bought a couple of bottles of stock and sauces for stir-fry too. One of the things I've been having trouble cooking is vegetable. It comes out bland and tasteless and strange, even after I've tried adding random stuff - garlic, soya sauce...

I didn't really wanna buy that much, considering I'd have to lug everything back, and reasoned that everything else could be bought at Sainsbury's, which is just a couple of minutes walk from my place.

Stuff at Tescos seemed cheap, though being new, I still am not very familiar with the general cost of stuff. There were loads of 1-for-1 and half price offers, so I suppose there has to be some merit in them, since people were pretty much grabbing things off the shelf.

There was Krispy Kreme too! Yay. Although technically, I wouldn't pay S$ 4.20 for donuts. But I did. Thrice!

No comments: