Monday 21 January 2008

10 hours on the Phone

Well ok, maybe not 10, but definitely 60, at least. 60 minutes, that is.

**
When I first came, I was totally wow-ed by the exchange policies of the shops here.

(I have rights as a consumer! Finally!)

Torn clothes, no receipt, no tag, worn for more than 30 days, but hey, sure, refund you we will.

(Try that in Singapore and see what you get. "Tough luck, who ask you buy from our shop" or "Want cheap cheap, it's like that!" probably. Blargh.)

I was slightly skeptical, when I first came, about how much companies honoured their refunds. But so far, I've had no problems (granted, my sample size is just 1). I only got charged for delivery, which is a pain, but I was happy to get my 15 quid back for something that didn't work.

Today's phone call had to be the silliest though.

**
I decided, this morning, that the fact that something I'd ordered 9 days ago but still had not received warranted a phone call to customer service.

After gazillions "Please hold the line, I'll transfer you to the right department", I finally got to speak to someone who sounded like he could help.

Apparently, they had sent it via courier.

It was just £10 (and a flat envelope that they could easily have sent through Royal Mail), but they had to send it via courier.

That was alright, but... apparently, they had been here thrice, and rung the buzzer, and had even left notices with a number to call.

But (also apparently), I was never in.

How could they have rung the buzzer, when to reach the buzzer, you have to key in a code to get through the locked gate?

And no, I never did receive a single one of those notices.

Well, it's definitely impossible for any courier to enter through the multiple security systems we have in this prison-like environment. So I tried setting up alternatives.

First, I tried giving him my mobile number, but was promptly informed that he was "really sorry", but the delivery man might not call me as any calls they made they had to be done at their own expense.

Then I asked if we could arrange for delivery at a specific time, so that I could be at the gate waiting. But no, that was impossible.

Could I change my address to my hostel's reception who could sign for the parcel and then notify me to collect it? Ooops, no change of addresses allowed.

How about sending it via Royal Mail? I'm sorry, we only use a courier service.

Sigh.

No comments: